Friday, February 5, 2010

Valentines: Part 1 (Heart-shaped crayons)

We had fun making heart-shaped crayons to use for Valentines for Amelia's class. This was a good project to work on with her since she was able to help peel off the paper and break up the crayons.


Step 1: Gather your old crayons and peel off the paper. Break them up into small pieces.


Step 2: Lightly grease a heart-shaped pan and fill each cup with crayon pieces in any color combination you like.


Step 3: Bake at 250 until melted, about 8 to 10 minutes. (You might want to put a baking sheet underneath to catch any possible drips.)


Step 4: Once they have cooled, pop them out and check out the fun colors!


I also tried cutting up the crayons with a knife to get even smaller pieces and put lots of different colors together. The results were very fun.


Next up: Attaching the crayons to cards...

4 comments:

  1. We must read the same blogs!!! :) and I finally did make the bread after you blogged about it. Yum.I have already printed out the same valentines. Good think Lucas and Amelia aren't in the same class! Where did you get the heart tin? I had planned to look this weekend before the storm changed everything. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got my heart tin at Michaels (with coupon of course)...I loaded up on crafting supplies before the storm to keep me busy while we're stuck inside.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw this and thought it was so cute. Maybe I'll try it out. We have so many broken crayons at our house already.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah--Your blogs are seriously so much fun to read. I can't figure out how you find time to do all these wonderful crafty things and family outings, and still get the laundry done and your family fed. You are amazing! :-) Anyway, wanted to let you know that Brendan and I made the crayon hearts, too, and merged your "recipe" with a Family Fun piece about making necklaces out of them. After they cooled slightly in the tins, we stuck a nail at the top of each one, let it harden, then using a wide needle, strung yarn through the tops to make heart crayon necklaces, for those emergency situations when you just need to quickly reach for a crayon! So thanks for the fun idea. We should get together sometime soon! Amy T.

    ReplyDelete