Friday, October 16, 2009

Puzzle Blocks: Maurice Sendak style

In honor of the movie release of Where the Wild Things Are, I made some puzzle blocks using Maurice Sendak illustrations.







Materials:
  • wooden blocks in any size and quantity (I used nine 2 inch blocks found at Michaels)
  • Mod Podge
  • foam brush
  • 6 different photos matching the size of all of your blocks put together (in my case, 6 x 6 in.)
  • X-acto knife, ruler, cutting surface

Directions:
  • Cut one of the photos up to match the size of your blocks.
  • Using the foam brush, spread Mod Podge on the back of the photo pieces and attach them to each block.
  • After they have dried, rotate each block and repeat with the next five photos.
  • Put a coat of Mod Podge over the entire surface of each block (do one side at a time) to seal the photos and protect the surface.

5 comments:

  1. This is awesome. I almost bought Jake a puzzle like this on Amazon. I'm glad I didn't. Now I can just make him one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. very cute. I think I'm going to have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this. Where did you get the photos? Do you have a site or place you generally get them from?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just did a google search for "Maurice Sendak illustrations" and used the higher resolution images.

    ReplyDelete